Monday, March 05, 2007

Lunar eclipse

I was completely unaware that a full lunar eclipse was going to take place on Saturday March 3.

For the past weeks, I have been trying to photograph the moon. I can't wait till the 3rd of March to get my first shot of a full moon. Below are pictures I've taken in February.

For larger size, click hereA 3/4 moon; Shot at 15:32 GMT Feb 26 2007. Posted by Picasa


When I stepped out on my balcony on the night of March 3, I was rather surprised. The moon did not look full as it was supposed to be.
For larger size, click hereA 95% moon; Shot at 19:15 GMT Mar 3 2007.Posted by Picasa


I was in luck as I checked and it turned out that a full lunar eclipse fell on that night. Thank God for clear skies. I heard there were some other cloudy areas where the eclipse could not be observed at all. Apparently, it seems.

It was a totally different experience for me. All I had was a Canon EF 75-300mm IS USM lens used with a Canon 350D. I think the pictures turned out quite okay, although I think it could have been way better with better lens (L series) and better body (Canon 1D). Here are the rest of the pictures.
For larger size, click hereFull (umbral) lunar eclipse at 22:44 GMT. One of my favorite shots among the hundreds as stars can be visible around the moon.Posted by Picasa


For larger size, click hereFull (umbral) lunar eclipse at 22:53 GMT. Photo cropped to emphasize only on the moon, which appears to be red-orange to the camera.Posted by Picasa


For larger size, click hereA collection of all 118 photos shot showing the transitions of the full lunar eclipse on March 3 2007.Posted by Picasa

No comments: