Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Almost scammed!

If there are any reasons to be happy for a job-seeker that would be returning for a second stage of the interview process.

Executive Advertising (www.executive-advertising.com), otherwise known as Executive Advertising, Inc. based in Boston Massachusetts, was rather quick to wrap up my first round of interview, in Manchester, which lasted well under 10 minutes.

75% of the time was spent talking about what they do. How they have grown so big and expanding rapidly across the country -- a reasonable justification for a successful business (of scamming people by brainwashing!!) They used prominent brand names like Sky, Boots, Pizza Hut, etc. to show that their clients are big players in the market.

"Are you okay to interact with people face-to-face?", I was asked the question; to which I said on the level of preferences, of course, I'd dealing with people face-to-face!

As I walked away feeling like I was on top of the world, I was also quick to inform HF about the success of the first round of interview. I read their job description over and again not believing that I was going to be a candidate for a management training position. Well, having already two bachelor's degree (not tooting my own horn here) I thought the management training fits me well. Here's the job description, found on a job website:

GRADUATES, GRADUATES, GRADUATES!!!

TRAINEES, TRAINEES, TRAINEES!!!


CAREERS, CAREERS, CAREERS!!!

SEEKING: DIRECT MARKETING, DIRECT MARKETING MANAGERS, DIRECT MARKETING GRADUATE/TRAINEES


Are you a graduate searching for a career opportunity with a proven company? Still hunting for a position where hard work and ambition arerewarded instead of just seniority? Look no further!

Based in Manchester, Executive Advertising is a direct marketing company which specialize in the sports, home improvement, and telecommunication industries. Planning and executing promotions for our premier clients is our main focus. This year, our success with our portfolio has led us to increase our marketing and management teams. We value innovation, leadership, and a positive attitude. We offer career opportunities, competitive pay based on merit, a fun work environment, and paid training.

THE POSITIONS:
We are currently looking to fill entry-level Account Representative positions with career opportunities available in:

Promotional Marketing
Management Training

All positions are FULL TIME and ENTRY LEVEL. Advancement is based on performance, not seniority.

Executive Advertising develops a complete business solution targeted to our clients’ specifications, which makes our Account Representatives responsible for a wide variety of things, such as:


Teaching and training a team of marketing/sales/public relations experts to achieve a high-powered presence in the Manchester market.
Monitoring campaign and individual progress to ensure a steady stream of results.
Establishing relationships with local business owners to acquire new clients and strengthen our client’s presence in the market.
Communication of daily progress reports and maintaining established feed of information to and from our clients.
Execution of special promotions, test and target marketing, and brand management.
THE PERFECT CANDIDATE:
We are seeking individuals who enjoy working in a fast-paced environment. You must possess initiative, teamwork skills, and the ability to set and achieve goals. As our company is constantly expanding to national and international locations, we need people who are highly motivated and driven by the opportunity to financial and career growth.

TO APPLY:
Please send your CV to Jennifer Tanner at manchester@executive-advertising.com, or call 01612421780 and ask to speak to Jake Bradford. We are looking to fill all positions immediately. We apologize, but only those whom we wish to select for preliminary interviews will be contacted.

Thank you for your interest in Executive Advertising!

Feel free to visit our website @ www.executive-advertising.com.


All details and descriptions for the job sounds legitimate. Anyone will see it as the golden opportunity and would click-to-Apply right away. In fact, many people did and I was there (venue of the interview) to know.

Had I not took an interest to find out more about the company (their products, services, history, etc) last night, I would already be in Manchester for the second round of interview.

I began my search for, naturally, the company's name -- Executive Advertising. There was nothing much about the company and I began to be very curious. If ExecAd claimed to be as big as it claims to be, their histories (acts, profiles, deals with other businesses, news, etc) should be picked up and made traceable by search engines. I remember I was told,
"We've been around since 2001..."
If that was the case, I did a Whois search to find out about their website. Apparently, there were some discrepancies and I began to get very suspicious. First, the address of the registrant:
69 Wilson Street
First Floor,
Yukon Territory EC2A 2BB
Zimbabwe
1. Wilson Street... There are ten Wilson Streets all across United States.
2. Yukon Territory is in Canada.
3. EC2A 2BB refers to Islington, a part of central London, UK
4. Zimbabwe, is well one of Africa's country

It sure looked like an address on first glance. But this address points to nowhere, which translates to mean that the registrant does not want to be known/discovered.

Having discovered new information, I went back to their website to read their entire contents. I realized that the choice of words used were mostly ambiguous and unspecific. Reputable companies do not use ambiguous words. They will specify exactly their nature of business, how they are conducted, and choice of words are directly specific. But Executive Advertising's website was just the exact opposite.

Then I applied search filters filtering keywords like: jobs, leeds, manchester, -site:.co.uk, etc. and the first item to appear on the search outcome was DS-Max -- Direct Selling to the Maximum. Uncertain what has DS-Max has to do with Executive Advertising (I didn't even know what it was all about), I clicked into it. I was definitely in for a surprise!!

Executive Advertising (and I made sure the two terms referred to the company, and not some corporate position) is a real company that is out there to scam job-seekers by brainwashing them into believing they are doing something good for the company with the hopes of career progressions -- with hard work!. As far as I have read, the candidate will never progress. He will be going door-to-door selling discount coupons, shabby goods, while claiming that he's doing it on behalf of big company names (legitimizing his sale pitch).

There's a whole lot more about job scam stories on http://www.ripoffreport.com, a consumer website for which I am thankful. It has made aware there are giants out there to make you scapegoats. Searching for "Executive Advertising" + scam yielded more search results than just searching for "Executive Advertising".

I am, nevertheless, happy to have found out about such scams. I am not disappointed in any ways. I hope job-seekers alike will have the instinctive interest to find out more about the company they will be working for. As HF said, "If a company does not show an interest to know more about you, clearly the company is ONLY interested in what you can do for them!" The absence of such simple reciprocity is what raises suspicion.

Pressing on!

24 comments:

Good4u said...

Dan I don't know whether your current visa situation lets you work, but if it does let me know and I may be able to organise something.

The job initially involves spending the day on blogs, forums and social bookmarking sites (which I know you love).

Let me know.

Torstein

shutterblogs said...

thanks very much T. You sure do know what I love.

I also love to begin my career.

Unknown said...

Great research matey. I almost went to an interview with them but they did sound a bit dodgey on the phone. It all smelled of field sales and their website makes me think of multi level marketing.

Unknown said...

Your story is very interesting Dan.

My girlfriend recently moved here from America, she is a graduate of a good college (UCSD) and is looking for a graduate role out here in the UK. She was naturally happy when after only one day of applying for jobs, she received a call from Executive Advertising and went in to do a first round interview.

They were quite hard-sell on the company, and made it seem like there were some excellent opportunities available to her. She would have to go and do some direct marketing (ie door to door sales) for a couple of weeks, but after that her proper training would begin, and she could embark on an exciting new career.

Alarm bells started ringing when on the second round ‘interview’ day every single person called in for a first round interview the previous day was there for the second day too. She was forced to walk the streets of London (using her own money to pay for transport) going door to door while some guy tried to extol the virtues of the company, saying how much money she could make, and what great opportunities there were.

The basic pay was so low that it was probably illegal, and it clearly became clear that the company was not what it had made itself out to be. She called me and after a bit of research, including the piece on your blog, it quickly became clear what was going on. I called her and told her to abandon them, which she did, and I then called the owner to tell him not to contact her again.

The owner was an American guy who I reached on the number 02072519028, not the fake number on their website who was initially defensive, and then rude, and then eventually defeatist. Hopefully we will not hear from them again.

Thanks for the warning on your blog, and I would like to reiterate everything you have said – this company is clearly not what it says it is, and this is not a graduate role. It is door to door selling, with a success rate of less than 1% per knock according to someone who worked there. Avoid!

How frustrating for graduates looking for work to have to go through experiences with dodgy companies like this who are nothing but glorified pyramid scheme operators misrepresenting themselves and looking to exploit people looking for their gain.

It does demonstrate the need for jobseekers to remain vigilant and always investigate the company both on the web generally and not just from their own website to ensure they are legitimate. Other things that appeared dodgy about the company was that the email address of the person sending details of the interview etc was from a yahoo account. No big company would do this. Beware!

shutterblogs said...

To Tim:

Thank you for reading what I've written with tremendous interests!

I appreciate you for relaying your girlfriend's situation here in the England, UK. It wasn't difficult to have a complete understand of both you and her feelings upon the discovery of a potential job scam. I am not saying it is (first hand) but rather, I was also convinced that it is.

Jobseekers need to be wary of job postings that use lots of BLOCK LETTERS. It gives away a sense of desperation, which in turn could mean high staffs turnover.

Executive Advertising Inc., is just one of the many. There are many out there that goes under a different name. However, their way of interview, their nature of business, conduct, operations, etc. are rarely different altogether. You could, of course, expect slight deviations.

Cobra (the company, also listed in DSMax) is quite big in UK too. Avoid. It'd be a waste of time for a graduate with a degree (two for me) to be doing jobs like these.

For your girlfriend, I hope she gets something good. Graduate-jobs.com , totaljobs.com, monster.co.uk, www.grb.co.uk, Gumtree.co.uk, and reed.co.uk are the few that I recommend.

Always research first before going for the interview. Good luck!

shutterblogs said...

To Robert,

Thank you for leaving a convincing comment. I am glad that you have found my posting useful. It was my intention to make Executive Advertising Inc listed on Google search yield so that everybody who's looking for some information on the company can actually KNOW something for good.

Before my posting, it was difficult. It took me quite a while to establish a correlation between the company and The RipOffReport.com website.

Now the air is clear, those who are searching for Executive Advertising OR Cobra or the like... will know. If people wants to make it their career, it's their choice.

My purpose of this posting was only to inform and redirect people to the place where they can find out more about their potential employer.

Thanks once again. (I hope this comment is searchable in search engines too!)

Unknown said...

For the record... I applied for a job with them through reed.co.uk and have seen such adverts before on there, so it makes that site a bit you know...

Tallulah Joe said...

Oh good God. I'm crushed! I found Executive Advertising through Gumtree.com, applied with a cover letter and CV, and got a phone call within 2 hours (unfortunately I missed their first call so they have promised to ring me back.. that was 5 hours ago. Ha)

I found their website which is disturbing, and thought as I'm a curious cat, I'll google their phone number. And that's what lead me to this. I can't decide if I'm relieved or deflated. I'm looking for an internship hence I'm working extra hard to find one before my rent runs out on my current Uni accomodation.

Can I just say, thank you thank you thank you. If it wasn't for you I could be spending the next year working for a lowlife cheating company. I feel quite daft now.

Ceri
X

shutterblogs said...

Ceri (or Tallulah),

You can find much better internships than working for direct marketing (unless it's really what you're looking for).

It is readers such as yourself (and those above) makes me happiest as I indulge in the fact that I have helped in one or more ways possible.

I don't remember if I ever mention that my posting (Almost Scammed) was intended to stimulate jobseekers' curiosity about the company, Executive Advertising. I have provided a baseline of information for all to consider. It will be up to you to decide if you want to proceed. I will certainly not. And I guess I will not be the only one to follow suit.

If upon founding this useful and you decide not to go ahead, then you should feel relieve. (that is if you asked me)

Once again, thank you for your permanent mark of support that resonates reassurance to all.

Good luck!

Tallulah Joe said...

Thank you. I'm proud I decided to google their phone number, and if it wasn't for your blog who knows where I'd be.

I was so angered at this company, I wrote to Reed.co.uk (who I use alonsgide Gumtree) and compained about having hundreds of advertisements on behalf of Executive and their aliases. Reed replied with:

"Thank you for your message.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have suspended the company from our website.

All the best

The reed.co.uk team"

Thank goodness! They're off the website (at least for now). They shouldn't get away with what they do. Good news, I have an interview next week with a real agency in Leeds. Phew. :)

Thanks again!

Ceri

shutterblogs said...

IMHO, I think online jobsites like Totaljobs.com , Reed.co.uk, and GumTree.com (probably good only for looking for a place to rent?) should be avoided.

By the way, I have written to Totaljobs.com and Reed regarding this matter... just like what you did. It was more than 6 months ago. I'm still not surprised that "they" are still advertising on their websites.

There's money to be earned from "these" people to advertise positions on their websites.

Monster.com or .co.uk is a great one! If that doesn't suit your needs, consult your university's career centre.

Whatever it is, as jobseeker you must always, always (can't stress enough) find out more about the company you may be working for.

Good luck!

Jovan said...

Missed a call from these guys and was wondering if it could be a potential employer, but they didn't leave a message. Googled the tele and was so happy to find this post. You saved a lot of time and disappointment, thanks.

Anonymous said...

Cheers mate, I almost walked straight into that one - went for an interview and it was very suspect indeed.

Your post saved me from going round and round the blocks, literally.

P

Sair said...

Everybody,

Like others, I googled the number of this company. I just had a phone call from them desperately asking me for an interview tomorrow! Even persuading me to fit it around my finals!
I am so glad I saw this!
Thank you

Sair said...

Also, I forgot to say-
they also work under a different name now...can't remember what it is but they are still advertising on reed/ gumtree etc!

Sair said...

It is now called Primus UK Ltd. !! Beware!!!

the alarming man said...

Hi guys, also known as:-
J.L. Global Acquisitions Ltd
Pro Sales Direct
G-Force Marketing Ltd
Heyes Client Services Ltd
Operate from:-
16 Newton Street
Manchester
M1 2AE
United Kingdom

No doubt they will keep making up names.
The guy I spoke to (Breck? with an Aussie accent I think)admitted they had 5 companies in the place and that way they could keep overheads low and pay high commissions. Right.
An admin person is Vikki Pritchard

K said...

Hi!
Thanks for the warning! Got a call from them today about an interview tomorrow, I'm certainly glad I took the time to google their number. They said they were going to e-mail me details regarding my interview but when I didn't get any e-mails from them I decided to check out the number. Thanks for saving me the trouble of going to an interview with a dodgy company!

shutterblogs said...

Thanks Jovan, Fac213, Sair, The Alarming Man, and Karoline!!

The more information you leave here and describe in details, the more people will find this posting and be saved from such unfortunate predicament.

Whatever jobs you may be looking, always (extra emphasis) do a background check. If your search result yields only more job adverts from other job boards that shouts out "ENTRY LEVEL...", take a pass. No matter how many times they change their company's name, as long as there is nothing concrete you can learn about it then clearly it's not worth your time.

If you take notice, comments received are unique and rarely dissimilar. These are all genuine cases and many have thanked me for writing this post. Keep them coming!

Sincerely,
DT

Nic Neverland said...

Thanx guys for this link. I was so happy to get a call, also one day after applying from this company..the number they called from was 02072519028. I couldn't believe that they were so happy to see me. The whole evening I was preparing for my interview. now their name is Aspire Acquisitions. And in the email they say the phone number is 02070173866. It's also weird that the guy calls and says he will email you now all the details but then Daniella emails the details...

Anyway, "if it's too good to be true" it's probably not true... so much for my new tie and dreams!!

Lecari said...

I'm glad I stumbled across your blog. They are still operating - I had a call from "Aspire Acquisitions" at 1 Bath Street, London, after applying for a job with them on totaljobs.com. I thought I'd Google to do a bit of research on the company - the listing and their website (given as aspiremktg.com) were quite vague as to what I'd actually be doing. Your blog was one of the pages I found.

I don't want to do sales (it's not one of my strengths), and I'm not interested in working on a commission only basis. I've now declined their offer of an interview.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

"Hi, I think your website is interesting very colorful. Good job! I feel helping job seekers finding their ream home jobs are a fulfilling quest. Good luck in your quest too.

www.onlineuniversalwork.com
latest trend
"

Anonymous said...

"Hi, I think your website is interesting very colorful. Good job! I feel helping job seekers finding their ream home jobs are a fulfilling quest. Good luck in your quest too.

www.onlineuniversalwork.com
latest trend
"

Unknown said...

Thank you all!
I came across Aspire Marketing...
Same scam. Do not get yourself involved!
www.aspiremktng.co.uk
1 Bath Street
London
EC1V 9LB
Cheers!