Tuesday, January 17, 2006

F.E.A.R

An acronym for First Encounter Assault Recon, rated #2 top games in Gamespot.com. I got the title and played it thinking it wouldn't be all that scary and gruesome, but, boy was I wrong.

The background musics were welcoming to start with but as soon as I entered a building where I had to carry out a recon mission, the musics begin to blend in a change to a rythmic tones, which was OKAY and sounded calm. It was when I walked through a 'thing' that looks like a floating black smoke or cloud in a varandahs that an image of a person without skin on his/her face with both its eyeballs gorging out and screaming in pain flashed in the front of my screen for a quick second... then I noticed the music changed to heartbeats pounding rythmically. That was also when this eerie feeling of walking around in the corridor alone gives me goosebumps and it creeps on all over my skin, afraid to walk further... with the sounds turned on!

I tried turning down the sounds, and eventually, shut everything off and played without sounds. The creepiness seemed to diminished. My girlfriend said, "What's the point of you spending twenty-over-quids just to scare yourself like that. And you're not making your money's worth by turning off the sounds!"

F.E.A.R is actually quite creepy. It's much more creepy and scary than Half-Life 2's Ravensholm... I think simply because Gordon Freeman is much better equipped. In FEAR, there are ghosts around that appears when you most least expected. The musics just elevates that fear sensation.

The game is good, but rather short, but then again, if the game is made to scare the freak out of you, it's worth it. Otherwise, I think you're better off playing Civilisation IV, Age of Empires III, Halflife 2, or the likes.

No comments: