Thursday, March 06, 2008

Flabbergastered!

Which is more impossible? Selling yourself? Or Being convinced that they should hire you?

There are undeniably similar traits between a door-to-door salesperson and a jobseeker. The former could have done 200 miles knocking from one door to another and if lucky enough would have made a couple of sales. That's like going to 1000 residential units and only 2 responded positively. In other words, only 0.002% success rate! And the latter, well, his/her 'sales' would have been effectively terminated upon a sale.

After been successfully complete and achieve two bachelors degree both in Economics and Law in Canada and the UK respectively, I still cannot understand how could anybody turn down a person with calibre such as I. With due respect, I am not trying to toot my horns here and think that employers should be coming and offer positions of seniority to me. I need a place where to start and only then they will see my worth.

I am particularly disappointed at how the recruitment processes could turn down any applications based on cover letters alone. Perhaps it is a fair game for them to play out this strategy to avoid wasting valuable time as there are many time-wasters (jobseekers who waste time of others) out there. But if only they could see that I stand out to be more competitive than all other graduate students with only one bachelors degree. It is clear that work experiences is valued over education in this labour market; and that education would only be an additional benefit/advantage. I am strongly of the opinion of the fact that this should have been the reversed.

I pray for strength and a miracle that someone out there can appreciate my qualifications. I mean, are there many who can think multi-laterally and at the same time unify core principles of business, economics, and legal knowledge?! Probably less than 25% of the world's population.

No comments: