Thursday, April 21, 2005

Time has folded

Unbelievably a year has passed by so quickly as though an eye never blinked when the fact is it has. My fellow mates are writing their final exams during this period. This time last year, I remember struggling for Econometrics, Portfolio Investment, Managerial Accounting, and Environmental Economics. I almost had a nervous breakdown after making my way out of the exam hall for Econometrics. This fear still is vivid as I can feel even if I have to watch myself as a third person. It's now April, a year later. What did I do that time has folded into half like folding a piece of paper to meet two points.

In May to July of last year, I think I have spent the most time doing nothing really constructive. I convocated in May. We went camping in Waskesiu twice when we had hail storms as big as golf balls in the latter trip. I shop for a lot of electronic stuffs on EBay with an ambition to build a desktop PC from scratch, which I have successfully assembled in the UK (although dad gave his [better] laptop to me in exchange for mine).

I was in Malaysia for a good five weeks from August. There was nothing much to do back there except meeting up and being with family and relatives. It was good to see everyone back there in good health and ever so busy with work/job. I assumed myself to be a temporary site supervisor who, oddly, often have a SLR camera wielded in my hands when visiting construction sites on which my dad's company has a building project.

From September till December, I was still "lost" not only in the college of law at the Leeds Metropolitan University, but also in the city where customs, tradition, and cultures were the issues. The road systems over there are terrible, well, relatively terrible especially considering that I have been accustomed to 'grid' or 'block' systems that US & Canada utilizes. If I had somebody blind-folded me and dropped me off somewhere in the city here, I would not have been able to find my way home without less difficulties.
There were assignments to be completed over the Christmas break and I have struggled to complete my first law assignments. It was also during this time I met a girl whom I have always wanted to know and today, I'm happy to have realize my hopes and dreams that I'm with her.

Before time folds into another half, I had better set my hopes and dreams straight--get a law degree! Whether or not I decided to become a lawyer in which a CLP examination precedes, that will depends on how well I manage time before one end point meets the other, which will only mean another new folding will soon commence.

It was April 2nd that Pope John Paul II (85) has passed away, and today, three weeks later, we have Pope Benedict XVI (Ratzinger, 79) heading 1.1 billion Catholics of the world. Have we been doped by a time catalyse?

No comments: