Friday, April 29, 2005

A day of blessing of luckiness

In no sense by the title is to be construed as having to do with any gamble or any games of chance. However, it was by chance that we were blessed greatly by, as we would like to believe, Him, the Almighty Lord. It was yesterday that this paragraph refers to.

I was in the Canadian High Commission,London, with the purpose of applying for a Temporary Resident Visa, TRV, as I will be heading off to Canada in the second week of May. I had every necessary documents with me to proceed with the application without any difficulities. There was a long queue outside the entrance and some of us have waited in the rain. Soon, we (other applicants) entered the building and had to go through airport-type security check. When in the queue again I realised that I was without the letter of invitation my aunt had personally signed for. All hopes of getting the TRV on this day almost diminished, as the letter is a necessary part of the application. The other thing is that the visa officers behind the window do not provide change for applicants. We have to provide "EXACT" change of £35. There is a notice pinned up saying "... we are not a bank that will break change for you. If you did not bring the exact amount, please do not waste your time in the queue..." I managed to quickly ask around to break my £10 bank notes.

I waited for almost 80 minutes in the waiting hall as I hear the numbers of early-bird applicant being called up for interview. The interview process on average takes 15-40 minutes each. I was my turn then. I sat down and the Visa Officer asked me two question:
"...So, you have been a student in Canada... you have an aunty in Montreal... what's your purpose of visiting this time?"
To which I replied "..to participate my brother's graduation"

The other question was, "... where is your brother studying?"
Without even a second of hessitation or doubt, I replied "University of Saskatchewan, that's where I attended university too"

Then, he responded "Thank you. please take a seat back there and in 5 minutes time you'll be called to collect your passport and your visa".

I was really surprised and listened in disbelief. The interview process couldn't have lasted only minutes for me when others have been much longer... probably thoroughtly interogated.

And it was true, 5 minutes later my number was called and my passport was handed back to me. As I opened to the page where i should expect a TRV sticker, the visa is adhered to a page in my passport. Whew! I sighed a breath of relief and disbelief!

Met up with cousin for lunch later that afternoon, and then rushed to Victoria Coach Station to just made it in time to catch the 2:30pm bus back to Leeds. I was 1 minute late.

HF picked me up at the bus station in Leeds. After our dinner, we headed back. I found an unwanted refridgerator discarded just behind the main library on campus. I have been 'clamoring' about wanting to get a new fridge to HF for 2 months but did not get one as it was too expensive. One's expected to pay about £40-£90 for a used one for a 3 feet in height. We didn't think it was really worth the money.

Imagine the excitement and happiness at that moment. We were confronted with stark reality of elations as we examine inside out of the refridgerator ensuring it was worth carrying it back and that it was in working condition. Well, apparently, we wouldn't know if it was in working condition until we plug it into a power source. I pulled out the freezer's tray that was inside and noticed there was still a thin piece of ice. That was enough to indicate to me the refridgerator was and is, in fact and by common sense, in good working condition. We were laughing and cheering and teasing each other silly and praising Him as we lifted the treasure up and carried it back.

I plugged it into a power source and heard the fridge's motor roared into life! That's a piece of treasure there! Nothing was broken. We stared at each other then burst out laughing still wondering why was the fridge discarded and that how silly it was for the person(s) to discard a still working refridgerator.

There may be, however, a problem which lead the previous owner of the fridge to discard it. But until we find out what might that problem be, the fridge now has its new owner and it shall now be kept in our hands.

Lucky, no? That's a day of blessing.

No comments: