Sunday, June 04, 2006

Attractive offer?

I had to find a way out of LMU's law school and I did. A few months back I submitted applications to two universities namely Nottingham University and Cardiff University (Wales), both of which I had to write an essay to the question "Why do you choose Cardiff University as your choice?" (See below).

NU replied shortly expressing their regrets that I have not been selected for a placement. I wasn't very optimistic about CU either. So I did not give it much thought and have decided to continue with the LLB which I am already enrolled in with LMU.

Just a few days ago, I received news from CU announcing that I have been offered a place in their law school. I was delighted to hear, but I was not too sure that if I would be continuing my legal studies there as a final year student -- I did two years already at LMU law school.

It tears me apart to decide as my girlfriend now works in Manchester. I do love her much and words are all I have to give her my promise that we will be fine. Those words which I keep so closely to my heart and are so dear as she is to me. I remain true to myself and my words and with these I hope they can comfort her much.

However, nothing has been decided as of this moment as I am still waiting for further confirmation(s) from CU. Things are just in a mess right now.

A copy of the essay I wrote to Cardiff University is as follows:

Like everybody, there was a time when I had to make that decision of what I shall study in my
pursuit of higher education that will land me a dream job. I grew up in a society where the
only practical and respectable jobs were those of doctors, lawyers, and engineers. These were
the three major professions that were literally pounded into the minds of most children. I
was not an exception.

I believed I would grow up to be a medical doctor or a lawyer some day, but when I had to
make that decision while looking at my high school grades, I didn't think one school of
medicine or of law would take me in. I was poor in my mathematics as well then to consider
School of Engineering. My father popped the most dreadful question that required an answer to
that decision, What do you want to do? I was very much interested in reading law as I have
drafted and edited several legal documents including sales and purchase agreements for a
property development firm in Malaysia. I was unconfident in myself to achieve in anything at
this point. I chose Economics believing that it has nothing to do with arithmetic, calculus,
or mathematics. I was caught by surprise in what I have chosen by its level of difficulty but
I told myself that I couldn't just quit and run away from my fears. I took it as a personal
challenge and soon enough, I have proven myself to be valuable. After graduation, my level of
confidence was up and I believed I can achieve anything in life as long as I want them.
I now read law at Leeds Metropolitan University (LMU) and I am in my second year. The main
reason as to why I am passionate about reading law and wishing to practice some day soon is
because of the intriguing fact of power and authority that is vested upon the law itself. I
am fascinated at how the law have an active role that affects the lives of everybody in a
particular jurisdiction, and in a different way in another jurisdiction. At the same time, I
am also enthralled at how the law is punishing, and how it is protecting and serving justice
simultaneously. Perhaps it is true that we are interdependent of justiceJustice depends on
us, We depend on Justice as much.

I am particularly attracted to Lord Denning's and Lord Hailsham's (of Marylebone)
autobiography. These are two of the many renowned law lord that I admire, especially the
literatures and wisdom, in particular, they have contributed in the past and their presence
is still very much alive even today!

Recently, I had been assessed for a mooting session where the comments of the moot judges
were extremely pleasing and welcoming. "You did extremely well! We are very impressed at the
way you quote your cases; they were spot on! Nobody has ever done anything like you did
there! You portray a level of confidence I wouldn't have thought to expect for a first timer
in mootingYou may have good potential in advocacy skills"

As I progress gradually to completion of a law degree, I very much desire to obtain a more
internationally recognised law degree from this university, the Cardiff University, than from
my current university and my alma mater. Honestly speaking, this will be a career move for me
as there is a chance that I may return to my home country, Malaysia, to practice law.
Unfortunately, the Bar Council of Malaysia does not recognize the law degree issued by LMU,
thus a career move. When applied to read law in England, it was, admittedly, a rushed and
unstudied decision.

Cardiff University has a long history of excellent reputation and testimonies of exceptional
quality of delivered education that has benefited people of all walks of life and of all over
the world. I, certainly, do not want to be left behind! I have proven to myself once, I only
ask Cardiff University to allow me to do it once again. I want to be able to contribute to
the good society my service I acquired from Cardiff University. I want!

I wish I have the best wishes from everybody, especially ones closest to my heart IF it is so an attractive offer.

No comments: