Monday, November 13, 2006

A welcoming surprise

I received an email message on November 7 asking permission to use my photos in which I took on the night of Roundhay Park's Bond Fire Night November 5 2006. The sender of the message is one of the joint editors of Friends of Roundhay Park newsletter. His message is as follows:

Danny
I am joint editor of the Friends of Roundhay Park Newsletter and have seen your photos taken on 3rd November at the park in a blog. My wife and I missed the firework display this year as we were otherwise engaged.

Could you kindly give permission for us to use one of your photos in the Newsletter? It would necessarily be quite small, just black/white, but your name would appear as the photographer of the original. However, as a voluntary organisation and Registered Charity we would not offer any payment for the use of the photo. How would you feel about that?

If you wanted to submit a short item about the display itself and what it meant to you as a 'visitor' to Leeds, we would gladly consider publishing that as well.

Sincerely
Alan Jackson

I felt privileged and overwhelmed by the fact that my photos are getting noticed. While trying not to get too ahead of myself over this matter, at the very least it was a very good opportunity and I hope the two photos, DSC04038.jpg and DSC04048.jpg, that Alan has selected will serve the interests of the newsletter best. We will wait and see if the newsletter gets published. Looks like there has been a long delay.

The number of people with digital cameras these days are rapidly growing by the minute. This will only make it tougher to getting paid for good pictures as the competition is just too massive with low demand and excessive supply. Charitable works may be a way to start before getting recognized as a photographer. But that's a long, long way for me. I'm only doing this half of a part-timer.

No comments: