Friday, June 29, 2007

Black cat superstitious

Black cat superstitious beliefs are not uncommon across all cultures of the world. However, most of the superstitious beliefs surrounding black cats are usually that of an unfortunate one, except in the English culture where black cat is seen as good luck when it crosses one's path.

As with the rest of the world, it looks like I ran out of my luck. I am still baffled at the fact that it was such a convincing coincident that the day I almost broke my left ankle (badly twisted) in Fira, Santorini, it was June 6, six flights down the donkey steps from the main donkey station atop, and no, it did not cost me 6€, but 5€ for a six minute ride as opposed to a full 25-30 minutes.

X-ray of my left feet that cost me 6€. I left Santorini's hospital with a comforting good news -- no fractures and nothing serious. Just a moderate twist which will recover in 2-3 days.


Maybe it was all because I was not looking at the steps as I descended from the rocky and uneven steps. The scenery from such a height was too good to be missed before embarking on our ship to visit the Caldera volcano, to swim to the hotspring waters in the Mediterranean sea, and to enjoy fresh sea food like Octupus. Before I knew it, my left foot wobbled, slipped and fell into a 6 inch deep pothole ankle first. Initially, the pain was bearable and I gave little thought of it. As I attempted a couple more steps down I began to almost lost my breath. Felt weak. The pain has not manifested yet but I could see my left foot was shaking with my entire body in shock as my body enters into trauma. It was that bad. I leaned against the stone walls to catch my breath and when I felt better, I tried to walk again. This time the pain manifested to me in the most excruciating and nasty manner. Felt as though somebody has just put a bullet through the joint between my feet and tibia.

It did not strike me until HF said, "I told you to stay away from the Black cat last night! But you went on playing with it!"

Maybe she was right. But most of the time when I patting this unusual Black cat who was lurking around our room's balcony, I had Nigel in mind. "Unusual" because this Black cat does NOT 'meow!" as would with other cats, but 'rattles' as that of a rattle snake. It was 23:56 June 5 2007. I went into my room soon after 5 minutes and did not see it until 22:40 June 6 2007. It visited me again! It was as though its visit this time was to 'see' that a misfortune has befallen me. Eeriely, I quickly closed our room's door as I begin to get goosebumps crawling throughout my entire body! That was the last I saw that Black cat. Maybe it doesn't need to see me again now that I had bandages all wrapped around my left feet. Maybe, just maybe, it has to do with the scores of number six involved in this incident.

Do I believe in such superstitious?! Despite what has happened, I still do not believe in them but I would reasonably stay away from them. If the cat meows, then maybe it is okay. Throughout the remaining day in Santorini, I have seen many have also suffered a similar fate as mine as they struggle to advance forward by swinging to good foot forward using a pair crutches! I didn't need one.

No comments: