Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The weekend in brief

We left for Wales at about half past seven or was it eight? I couldn't remember too well but arrived almost a quarter to eleven.

One thing I noticed among all Europeans is that they're very disorganized in everything they do including agenda or activities planning, kitchen stuffs, etc. EXCEPT booze!! The long table was not soon filled with kitchen stuffs, walking apparels and kits, first aid kits, etc. but with all different kinds of beers, drinks, mainly alcoholics. The variety of drinks that people consume are all on displayed on the table and that is sufficient for astonishment.

The weather for the next day wasn't all that beautiful. As England is known for its popular spitting weather -- wet and foggy --, I didn't think many of us enjoyed the 4 hours walk up to the summit of Snowdon, 1586m above sea level, the highest in Wales and England. I didn't go up as my tighs were not fit -- muscle aches -- so I stayed back and rested in the cafè for 10hours waiting for them to come back and pick me up. I wasn't properly attired and I didn't want to end up looking like the poster I saw where the was victim strapped in a stretcher carried away by 4 paramedics; its heading: STOP!! Are you fit to go up? ... If not, TURN BACK NOW!! I guess I did the right thing.

Sunday; since I didn't walk the big walk, so I did myself a small walk around were we lived for 2 nights. I saw a mountain goat for the first time and it shied away. It was beautiful. Coated in white generally with few black patches. I tried to follow it but I was lured away by this splendid fable-like garden with a high rocky waterfall. Let the pictures (below) do the description/explanation.

Overall, I'm contended and that was a longed-for break. Everything in England doesn't seem right and I've got tonnes of things to complain about. Fortunate a getaway trip like this one has given me a peace of mind. I hate to say this, however, sooner or later, England's things-not-right will get back at me. This is the only time I would really, really wish to go back to Canada and continue my law degree. It's definitely cheaper than here plus everything else over there is far more efficient and sensible.

No comments: