Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Overclocked CPU



As you can see, it's a 2.8GHz Intel Pentium 4 with multiple Hyper-Threading technology, a 875P chipset. I went into the BIOS and configured the non-jumper settings and overclocked it by 30% to the current 3.62 GHz.

I've checked and monitored the CPU temperature for 5 days before doing this and it was fluctuating within 5% of its usual 36 centigrade. It's different now but not over-heated. It's now around 45 centigrade and has went up to 65 centigrade and not lower than 41.

Over all performance has sped up noticeably. I used to get a message that tells me I have ran out of virtual memory and need to close some applications to free up some space otherwise those applications may not work properly. I was watching a movie/video on RealPlayer, listening to music on Windows Media Player, working on some pictures on Photoshop CS, had a few Mozilla firefox's windows online, and in my background there were some 58 processes running. Any other computers would be screaming at you with these little messages demanding that you shut them out right away. Sometimes I used to be a victim of these messages, but not too often though.... however, I don't get them anymore. My limit of applications running is up to the CPU's temperature threshold of 70 centigrade. I don't want to burn my machine's brain now, do I?

Cheers!

No comments: