Thursday, July 22, 2004

Not quite a good start

I wasn't going to miss another bus as I was late for a scheduled physical therapy appointment. It was already 13:54 and I was still in my room; I have 1 minute. I dashed out of my house half naked and the 6A bus passed me and stopped at the bus stand which was just next block. There wasn't even a chance for me to slide in my shirt (buttoned) as I did the fastest sprint as I could... on my almost torn sandals. Just a few more steps away from the stand, the bus left.

"No!!!", I exclaimed!!

Already panting and grasping for air, I walked at ease and realized that the bus was slowing down at the ambering lights ahead on College Drive and Wiggins Ave. Determined not to miss my ride, again I did the 100 meters sprint. As I approached the junction of Wiggins I was sure I could get the driver's attention. It stopped at the next stand on Wiggins. A couple of people got down and doors were closed. I was only 3-4 leaps away and the bus had to step on it.

"Nooooooooo......!! Not again!!", I shouted in frustration. Who wouldn't be frustrated after attempting twice or more to flag down the bus after a few sprints? I gave up and guilt almost ate me up for leaving my door late... but, alas, I heard screeching noises from the bus and that's a good sign--the driver had lifted up his leg on the gas pedal and stepped on the brakes! Woohooo!! I jogged there to make my entrance... still half naked! Stepped up the stairs and dug up for coins in my pocket, still topless! Passengers by the windows who noticed me running after the bus applauded me and one of them made a comment:

"You must be ready for the Olympic games!".

I was panting like mad. I offered a generous smile to the person who made that comment as I walked down the aisle passed him looking for a seat to put on my shirt. gee!

After receiving treatment, I paid and left for Walmart to get my photos. When it's my turn to pay I gasped and panicked digging all the 6 pockets of the cargo pants I wore.

"Heck! where is my wallet!?"

Apparently, I left it at Daniel Kimbers Physical Therapy clinic. The panic attack subsided after I made a call to the clinic and so I strolled down 8th street when my sandals torn into two pieces.

"Give me a break!! It has not been a good day to start with since I stepped out of my door at 13:54!"

Limping my way to the clinic and took back what belonged to me and limped back to Walmart to pay for the merchandise.

Limped all the way to Sportschek and the first thing I did when I stood before the shoe shelves was to kicked off the rotten sandals I was wearing and pick them up to dump it in my trash bin behind me.

The sales assistance grins. I bet he thinks that "this" guy is certainly going to buy something from here. hehe! Of course I am! Don't wanna be walking on bare foot now do I?

Great!
Headed to Black's photography to pick up slides I shot for Claudia. Some turned out so-so but most of them are okay and there are a few exceptional ones. Felt excited as it is my first time shooting on slide films. Color saturations are top quality and they were all super vivid! I have to keep in mind to underexpose by either ½ or 1 stops next time I shoot slides, and overexpose by the said amount when I shoot negatives. I'm quite satisfied with the quality of slide films has to offer!

Later in the evening, I was at Stanley Dansville's to make another impression of stepping stones that he lays down in his magnificient lily garden. This time it'll be a different stepping stone -- it has my name printed on it. Not that I don't already mind people stepping on my name, but how many international students (I'm from Malaysia) would have their names on a concrete stepping stone in somebody else's garden in Saskatoon, let alone Canada?! *sniggers!* I thought of it as a time capsule and offered that idea to Stan, a retired mchanical engineer who will be 83 years old in a month, and he pretty much liked the idea and adopted it. Best of all, he taught me how to do it and I did everything on my own.

After that, I joined Scott, Andrea, Andrew, Jordan, and a few other friends for a game of Ultimate -- the ultimate frisbee game!

Whew! What a day! :)

No comments: