Saturday, July 24, 2004

That was a blast!!

Soon after stepping out of the theater I realized that "Bourne Supremacy" is the second part continuing "Bourne Identity". It was the former that I watched with my brother. Good movie! The story line wasn't that bad and the special FXs are quite decent too; and the car-chase scenes or maybe you'd like to term it as high-speed pursuits are jaw-droppings aftermath. Sit put in your seat... lest you be swayed away.

There's something about how the movie was shot that I am attracted to; perhaps the positioning of cameras and methods used to capture several out-of-the-ordinary scenes. hmm... I might put that on my wishlist-- be a film-maker by first owning a video camera?

Bah!

Anyway, enough said about movies.
This time I walked to Danville's resident for a scheduled appointment to take some pictures of the stepping stone I made with a big leaf on Wednesday. The concrete is not dry yet but he suggested that we lay it down on his garden for photos. And we did just that!. Embossed on it are the copper wires that I twisted and bended to form alphabets that would apparently spell out my name with a date stamp. Cool!

Here are some pictures of it.


Shot by Shutterdan: There lay my stepping stone on a bed of lilies; ever so strong and steadfast. I feel indebt somehow.
Photoblogged!!




Shot by Shutterdan: Stan Danville laying down the second stone. Mine will be on the third.
Photoblogged!!




Shot by Shutterdan: Stan posing a backache stance. Just kidding. He's picking up something and mind you, he is ever so healthy!
Photoblogged!!




Shot by Shutterdan: A closer view of the finished product.
Photoblogged!!



There it shall lay in garden for eternity(?)
I have left behind quasi-time-capsule souvenir
They have left behind beaconing memory for me
that would raise reasons for yearning to return to Canada

I mean, come on, I don't suppose that any host families make their own garden's stepping stones, right? Let alone your name on one of it. Frankly speaking, Stan Danville and his wife, Nelly Danville, are not even part of the International Friendship Program that the International Students Office of my University runs.

We met last summer after I return from Malaysia for a month's of holiday. Jean (Jingfang) and I went outfor our daily strolls around the place we stayed, which was Soji's 1428 14th street East. Now, on January 30th it was the Right click and 'SAVE AS' for larger versioncoldest day of the year with a temperature of 57 degrees celsius below zero, 1428 got burnt down. Jean moved out of 1428 to live in BC at the end of August 2003. So did I. So, we came upon this beautiful fenced garden full of lilies. We decided to walk into the garden to have a chat with the person whom I know today as Stan. He showed me this water fountain that he made from nothing and continued to surprise me by revealing to me that most of the stuffs I see in his garden are not bought but made with the two hands endowed to him. I am already convinced that this man is not only amazing but as creative as I would like to be. To raise one more brow, over many conversations within that period I just could not believe that we do share some common interests and I would suppose that that is the probably the reason that has kept this friendship. I don't really think that age has largely to do with this although I cannot deny that it could be a contributing factor as a senior citizen in the community spends his/her day trimming the garden, read a book outside, invent something, etc. in other words, they are just too nice and meeting people has always been part of their life in their retirement years.

Onwards to another item.
We sat and chatted about Canadian history, Malaysia (pronounced as Ma-lay-sia and not Ma-lay-zhuh) on most part. Then he took me down to his 'dungeon' where he works at polishing stones and jewelries during the winter. The entire base is just full of tools and motors that I suppose would assist in his polishing work. So, I had the opportunity to polish a stone for myself and so I did! I got a rounded Snowflake Obsidian 1 inch in diameter and about a quart of an inch in thickness. He showed me how to do the job and I polished the stone from its coarse surface to a glossy shinning stone. It's the kind of stone where kids would find on the beach or by a river and keep as souvenirs. Their borders or corners would usually be rounded and blunt (not sharp) and a variety of mineral deposits in layers are visible. Here are the pictures:


Shot by Shutterdan: The Snowflake Obsidian stone is waxed onto a stick so that I don't get my hands grinded by the machine. I am polishing the stone here until it glitters! It's mica not gold!
Photoblogged!!




Shot by Shutterdan: The polished stone in my hand. From pointy edges to polished dome. My Precious!! My precious jewel from Canada!
Photoblogged!!



So, at 23:00, we drove out of town (about 10 minutes) to pick up Amanda (who is now engaged to Tony, the two person behind my head) and headed to The Hose. Most of the people whom we played Ultimate Game together were there drinking and yakking away. As usual, we were late because Scott was driving. He needs to have a talking wrist watch that would annoy the daylights out of him by reciting every quarters of the time and probably yell

"Scott! Scooot now!! Scooot!!"

That would be horrendous if it were to be true for him. I get too IMpunctual sometimes too and because I am a (Canadian??) Malaysian, we have coined a name for such impunctuality -- Malaysian Timing -- as though we're dumb in telling time and meeting appointments on time.

Why am I having so much fun now? Like, what happened to the days before tonight? These people are people of substance and I'm just about to learn about them getting to know them and right now to even think about not being able to party with these people again would probably cause some tears rolling down ones cheeks.
But one has to move on in life, eh? It's good to get comfortable with what you have and your surroundings but it's never too good when you get too comfortable that laziness pops up and you're not motivated to do something else. If you don't know what I'm talking about, try looking up for a book called "Who moved My Cheese" authored by Dr. Spencer.

No comments: