Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Camping in the nowhere

I was away from May 9 (sunday) to May 11 (Tuesday). Three of us, Benson, Richard Wong, and I, headed out 2.5 hrs Northwest of Saskatoon to a place regional park called Meota. It's between North Battleford and Llyodminster but closer to the former. The car we were travelling in was packed with food, primarily meat and poultry; hoping to BBQ all of it after a long winter period of school. I was like, y'know, "hell yeah! it's about time we BBQ some stuffs" Arrived at campsite a 30mins late as we missed some turnings; we would be heading towards Llyodminster if Benson didn't turn back coz we're on the wrong highway. My bad, i was the so-called nagivator.

Arrived to the lonely campsite (we were the only people at the site) and excited and can't wait to start the fire the traditional way, not by striking 2 stones but but repetitive drilling of 2 fire wood. My hands were not made to last for this kind of mundane workout so I grabbed some dry grasses and gathered some smaller pieces of wood and lighted a fire on it (using a kitchen lighter; hehe!). We cheated but who cares? Set up tent and one of us will have to sleep in the car as the tent could only fit 2 people.

We chose to camp on this day and thought it will be nice and warm but little did we expect that night itself it was friggin' minus 15 with windchill, we were told the next day. Woke up in the morning at around 09:30 and noticed some icicles were just above my head, dripping cold water into my eyes and forehead because the day was already warming up. Now, that is a definite-wake-up call. That night, I had to have my face covered up as it was just too cold and windy outside. The bond fire we set up didn't help much to keep us warm. On the second day, I helped Richard over the fence where firewoods were kept. It's quicker to get wood that way instead of standing on two pieces of wood and pick out one by one with armpit on fence. We were planning to set up our little grand finale bond fire at night and hoping this will really keep us warm, dont want to be freezing out arse out again like the night before. It was funny when we all woke up and told each other how friggin' cold it was to sleep through. My brother's sleeping bag really helps and has kept me warm. Without it I really don't know how i would have survived. Later, we went to the lake nearby with intention to fish and it was low tide. Didn't catch any fish to BBQ and that's unfortunate. What's more unfortunate is that we do not know how to fish. Snapped some pictures and went back to chopped more fire woods. Chopping these woods are not as easy as I thought. Those are really, really hard & dry wood. We exhausted so much energy doing this. Even the ground is pounded in and probably can be an evidence of thousands of wood been cut. Our only tool was a small cheap camping axe for that job. Some time in the afternoon, a wild hare crawled nearby our car and when noticed, it ran away so fast! Missed a photo opportunity! *sob*

We ate all 3 days and 2 nights. Mainly beef & chicken, bread, sausages, and bacon. I'm vegetarian for the next 3-5 days.

Benson "upgraded" himself from the cook to our camp's most dangerous alchemist. He wanted to make a bomb! I just wanted to throw in a battery and wait for it to explode. He wanted to make a BOMB!! haha! T'was really funny, especially to see him so involved with flammable liquids around him. Richard who is suppose to be objecting his actions, offered him (Benson) his skin lotion because on it Richard pointed out to Benson that the lotion is flammable. I was puzzled for a moment but as soon the lotion is in Benson's hand, I could see how happy and excited he was probably already thinking of all the possibilities he could do with that flammable skin-lotion! Of course, he went psycho by spraying that lotion on every flames he sees. lol!

I found out that woodpeckers (type of bird) are extremely shy OR maybe just too afraid of humans. However, after much attempt, I had a great photo shot of it. Will post up here soon.

later.

No comments: