Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Say Goodbye

Say Goodbye (zhu fu), a song by Jacky Cheung, playing as background music as I type this. Triggered some memories about my friends in the past and was comparing with the present. Some left, others came and eventually left. Only a few stayed. The rest left with promises to keep in touch but sadly those promises are usually behind the viels of hectic schedules to come out and be fulfilled. Life's pretty much revolving around goodbye's.

Did some gardening work today at Sherry Lin's house, Renee's aunty, with Charmei and Jessie (Shanghai). At noon all works stopped for lunch and I guess all got too lazy after eating and soon we continued watching the Cantonese series about paintings (Cruelty to Oblivion?) from where we left the last time. Took a nap at 15:15 for 2 hours when the smoke detector went off. "Noo!! Who that rookie doesn't know how to cook?" The smoke found its way through my closed door from the gap below between the floor and the door and I sniffed it. Smells familiar and smells good by the way. Didn't want to get up but the alarm went off again. I guess I had to get up anyway and I did. As soon as I opened my door I saw Benson standing up on a chair trying to remove the smoke detector from the ceiling.
He asked, "You just got up??"
"No, I came back for a nap"
The thought of a magazine flashed in my mind because that's what everybody living upstairs with me does whenever the smoke detector goes cuckoo. We would fan as hard and as fast as we could to shut up the detector... And there he was, twisting the smoke detector off from its secured position. Now, it dangles from the ceiling and would tell anyone that it has been tampered. That's Benson's signature there! I asked him later in the evening,

"Why did you want to take off the smoke detector from the ceiling?"

"Because that's what I'd usually do when I was living in Emmanual St. Chad", he explained in a matter of fact tone. Silent after.

I was like, "Ooh, okay. But this is a house and smoke detectors actually helps to notify everybody about a potential fire hazard. Not a very good idea to remove or to tamper with it. you were here many times when the smoke detector went off and I was cooking. hm, maybe you forgot"

Back to reality, there he was still standing on the chair with his left hand on the SD and his right hand probably searching for a wire to pull. NOOoooooo!! it's funny! I told him to get down and he did. I found a magazine and fan off the smokes so that annoying high pic alarm would shut up. He went straight to the kitchen to see how his Pork Chop was doing. Looks good... with all the smoke. :P Man, this guy must be something! It's just a hilarious scene--Benson's best alarming smoked pork chop! I didn't try it, but I have confidence that it's good!

Went out to the gym and worked on chest and arms. Felt good. the pool hours really suxx! couldn't swim after 2pm Mon-Fri. And later, we caught a movie called "13 going on to 30". I thought it's a girly-girly girl movie in which I was not even interested. Hopped theatre and sneaked into another to watch "Hellboy" , which is almost similar to "The league of the Extraordinary Gentlemen". Action-packed! my type!

That's it! Will write another day.

No comments: