Sunday, May 30, 2004

Till the last drop I had

It's Saturday May 29th.
It has been a long time since I wrote.
Occupied with both my parents and my brother
My old lady too occupied with free-cell game
Days were like these during the days I did not write
Today a double celebration, Mom's birthday & my convocation/graduation day, a unique Red Ice Wine brewed from British Columbia, was opened and savoured till the last drop at the Gan's family (Jullian, Josephine, Jotham, & Melissa). I had the privillage to the very last drop of the indescribable fine & sweet ice wine. It was shared among 9 other people including myself over raspberry pie on vanilla ice cream (2 scoopings).

I made Conchinita Pibil for my family and they just love it. Mom couldn't stop teasing me about the pig's butt or the pig's backside, sometimes slipped her tongue and blurted "hey, the chicken backside was reaally gud!" I'm like "chicken baaaaaackside lah!", reminds me of Michelle Tan. I will probably from this day onwards remember pig's backside whenever Michelle Tan exclaim chicken backside. I had to constantly remind mom it's rump, or pork's rump. Just because, just because it sounds so much better. I couldn't help laughing about it whenever she mentions it and tease me about how good the "chicken backside" was!

Wednesday, May 26th.
The convocation went all well. It was nothing as I expected where proud parents and family and friends would constantly applause and cheer for their son/daughter's achievement when s/he walk down the stage to recieve his/her degree and being congratulated by the Chancellor of the University. I came to realize that "Universitas Saskatchewanesis" is the actual name of this University (U of Saskatchewan) and thus the actual name of the province. It's probably in Cree? Loooks Latin, though but certain could be Metis as well. Don't you come asking me for the meaning of it because I can tell you it is actually quite self-explanatory without feeling surprise that you can actually understand that in English. There's no need to reach your nose with your arms around your head.

My parents, my brother and Simon (a family friend) were seated up on the most high balcony of the Centennial Auditorium and I'd imagine looking down it must have been extremely difficult to locate a bald-headed guy who calls himself Danny V-Li Teok who again may appear as a tiny black dot (he has black hair, remember??) from above. I was seated 5 row from the stage somewhere in the middle (about the 11th -13th person from the most right). I was quite disappointed as dad did not do a great job at video recording the event but just a mere 20 seconds of recorded time when I walked over the stage with to receive my degree after my name was announced. He missed this part where my name was announced. *sob!* It would have been nice to watch the entire thing on video or DVD but I don't that is quite possible. I will depend on how articulated I am to describe this significant event (not only limited to myself) to whoever wants to know. In fact, I have already anticipated poor media captures. Because I am trained as a photography (as a hobbyist) I will make better pictures for my brother as well as for my friends. It is at this point of time I wish my friends have the know-hows of photography and/or video recording. There are a lot of professionals out there but certainly you'd agree with me it is a waste of resources to hire them just for this event unless you are born with a platinum spoon in your mouth. But otherwise, a commoner just like my family, I have to push myself to accept what's there for me. At least I can view the video and still see blurred colors and visions. After all, the most vivid pictures for this moment of my life is and will remain in the hollows of my brain. They will never be lost.
-Ran into Ayako, Ayako Saito. She was climbing up the stair from Lower Place Riel and we were going up on the escalator from Lower Place Riel. I was still in my graduation gown. Said hello to her she looked from the corner of her eyes and returned a "hi". Tried to talk to her but she kept on walking and did not even stop for a second to engage in a conversation. Oh, don't get me wrong. She might be in a hurry or whatever, but her body language spoke the loudest and it was like telling me to "back off, I'm not interested in you nor am I ever going to talk to you!" She just kept her pace and thru the doors of Upper Place Riel and out she goes. I paused for a moment, just off the treshold of the escalator, tried to recalled what did I say that could have offended her tremendously. I just know we had a lot of fun with Michelle Tan, Ee Lynn, and herself during the winter break of 2003. If she pretends she doesn't know me anymore, she has my pity. I mean, how can you not know a person anymore?? It will either be that you're trying to be rude or you recently had amnesia. I don' know what the heck is going on.

I really love the lady boss at Ding Dong restaurant, dishing out Vietnamese style meals or rather cuisines. I wasn't there with my family as I was tutoring. The boss, I call her Auntie, was so persistent with smiles on her face about me resembling more of my dad. 3 times dad denied, 4 times Auntie rub it in. LOL! Knowing Auntie is a very amicable person whose personalities would tickle anybody's bones, I can be sure that was something to laugh at and was a wonderful and enjoyable experience, to dine out in a not-so-fine restaurant that we've been frequenting sicne the arrival of my Sponsorship Director and his Madam. Aunties' warmth is what brings us students back to her restaurant again and again.

Recently dad and I have been discussing about the possibilities about going to the U.K. for Law studies. Whenever I think about it I tend to get a little numb on my knees as I imagine the number of books and literatures I have to read and know. I-m-a-g-i-n-e, just imagine the size of a New York's public library (no, not thaaaaaaat small!) and you gotta read all books therein within 3 years. If you don't get numb knees, then you should check with your doctor if you're suffering from Sensory Retardment Syndrome. U.K is a new place and it'd be great to live there for 3 years! I'm 24, turning 25, I mean, the opportunity cost of spending another 3 years in school pursueing another degree that could be a great combination with Business Economics, my first degree, can be very rewarding in the future. The other side of the argument is work/job experiences. I'm forgoing that if I go back to school. But I had thought a few months back that I had enough of studies and exams. I should take a break. I want to waste time and be mindless about thins for a while then go back... like a prodigal child. But a prodigal child who knows what he's doing. Where is my direction? Where am I heading? Show me the way!

To be continued...

1 comment:

Snkillerbeast said...

Oi!!

Congratulations!!