Monday, June 28, 2004

A weekend in Waskesiu

Just got back from Waskesiu approximately 2.5 hours north from Saskatoon. It is situated in Prince Albert's region.

The trip was generally a good one and will consider of heading back there if I ever get a chance again with one condition-- that I know for certain mosquitoes will not party in the woods during our presence. The best part of the entire retreat is not one but many and that includes close encounter of a mother brown bear with her 2 cute cubs...

So, as soon as we arrived at our camp site, tents were set up. There were 6 tents all together and mine was the most mini of them all. Cute though. Since mosquitoes were already out by sunset, I was already overly annoyed by these blood thirsty peskies that I couldn't wait to spark off a camp fire. However, we did not aleady have a permit to do so but Rianto got them after dinner. It cost 2$ for the camp fire permit. Together we gathered some fire woods that were already halved to a suitable place. Initially it was under some branches and I didn't think it was a good idea because I was going to make a huge fire. Having a permit doesn't give me the right to burn down a tree now, does it? Anyway, the woods were relocated so that the rising flames dance freely and not consuming anything in the air. That night was friggin' cold too; that fire helped a bit. We gathered around the fire and Eddy brought in his small packet of marshmallows and wooden skewers (satay sticks).

Albert P. started to make noise at 4am waking me up. My tent was just beside theirs. Most of us froze our ass out by dawn. I didn't think this was worst than my last camp with Benson and Richard Wong in Meota-- -15 celsius with windchill on our first night. Insanity! But this time it felt like 4 celsius with windchill.

Day Two:
After breakfast (simple bread and jam), we headed out to the beach by 10am and stayed to 2.30pm. Went back to camp site for a quick lunch and we left for a nearby lake for canoeing and kayaking. I did the kayak. Little have I realized it could be so much fun! Best story of the day was Albert P. ran into the canoe (my brother and Edwin were paddling it) and he flipped downside up. We all knew the water is cold. As we laughed and watched him struggle to climb back on his kayak (10 of us kayak and 2 went on a canoe) only to see his kayak gave up on him and flipped again; there he went down the cold water. Poor saint. We guys paddled to his rescue and he climbed onto the canoe and they brought him back onto ground. All went with him and only Rianto and I stayed back to hold on to his kayak and his paddle. I was the last to struggle against the waves and wind before I reach the pier. On the way back, we stopped along the road side and watch a mother bear with her two cute cubs feeding. The mother bear would probably stand to 5.5 feet. I got a picture and will put it up here soon.

On the last day, Sunday, all of us went back to the beach and this time we went into the waters. Cold! That's all I can say about the water. There were a lot of people this day compared to yesterday. Lots of people sunbathing and frolicking with one another on the water, especially the indonesian people we're with. I went around with my camera wielded in my hands hoping they'll notice that I do not want to get wet. A neat excuse to avoid getting bashed on beach.

Trip is over.

Arrived Saskatoon and mom got busy packing stuffs and preparing to go back. I did not stay in my room for long. Went to school and ran into Marzi, Navjot Kaur, and Heba. We went out for a drink but Heba did not join us. Matthew did; and we hanged around and chatted till 2am at Olympia downtown. Came back and mom chatted with me till 6am. I lay down and fell asleep immediately. 7 am we were suppose to send mom to the airport but I got too comfortable sleeping and really hate myself for hessitating to go just because of sleep. I don't think this is the way to pay my respect to my mother. I'm really sorry.

Got up at 12noon and headed down to Daniel's Kimberly Physiotherapy for my left arm. It's so much better now compared to last month as I now have full arm movement. I will need to do some home exercises to strengthen and hasten the healing process of the partially torn tendon. Since I have full movement, the tear could range from 20% - 40% tear, which is not too serious.

Other news
I got a confirmed placing at the University of Leeds, UK.
Karla got sunburn on both her arms.
Mother left for Vancouver and onwards to KL on Wednesday.
I'll be heading back to Malaysia at the end of July or in the first week of August.

No comments: