Thursday, September 16, 2004

From dollar$ and cent$ to £pounds and Pence

We (Nurwati and I) went downtown today scouting for cellphones, banks to open an account, shopping malls, and computer stores. €verything is cheap if you were to compare dollar to dollar basis. As I have mentioned earlier, a can of 325ml Coca Cola costs no less than 49p and that is approximately CAD1.13, which is the exact selling price of a can from pop machines in Canada. However, 49p is approximately RM3.34. "Is that cheap?", you may ask. It is if and only if you can see it in your currency other than £.

There is, therefore, a risk for me to overspend without realizing I have thrown away thousands of ringgit malaysia when it's only £150 over a few items of small electrical appliances, mini tables, clothes hangers, and other unimportant necessities.

I am really afraid to spend here. I prefer to take whatever amount I have right now and spend it in Canada.

Could it be that i am not used to living in the city center? I have been in Saskatoon, a not too big nor too mediocre sized city located in the Saskatchewan province, for a little over 3 years. Leeds Metropolitan is very densed and quite populated and to make matters worse, it rains here! It rains here almost everyday and if it doesn't I guess the rain clouds just love to pass obscuring healthy sunshines and clear blue skies from us. To make it even worst, it doesn't snow here! Well, it does but not as much as 1 metre of cumulated snow over the winter. The amount of snow fall here over the past 5 years is not even knee deep.

Sigh!
I have not had any proper meals since arrival. I have been living on sunflower seeds I brought over from home and water. I can't seem to re-live my habits I've been used to while in S'toon here; one of the major impediments of achieving that is this transition from dollars and cents TO pounds and pence.

One last note, I thought I've seen a couple of Proton Wira's on the road but they are called a different name. I squinted my eyes trying to read the model's name but it looks like the more I squint the further the car went, thus, the smaller the texts are to my impaired eyes. Tough luck!

1 comment:

Snkillerbeast said...

SAFE SEX!! Hahahah! Of course la...given that I've been to the drs to get some B.C.Ps...you KNOW what's that! hahah! Okay stay cool man..ciggy's are bad for you! Ciao