Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Lost in the metropolitan

I had a really good sleep after being deprived of it for over 30 hours. The short bursts of sleep I had on flight didn't really help much, however, I knew I had to stay awake until the right time to sleep to quickly get over with jet lags.

Today is the second day and it sure feels like it's been up to my neck level already just trying to speak the English I have been speaking yet at the same time the English have a way of making us (me) feel as though we're speaking an entirely different language.

In an occasion, I had to pick up the keys to my room from the security office and the officer in there explained to me how to use my keys. The keys are a small sized plastic brown in color with, I supposed, electronic chips within the flat sides.

"You will see a panel at the door and you have to push this key", he lifts it up to show me which key it was that I had to use, "upward and into the panel. Wait 2 seconds and then a buzz would come up. The door will then open.", he looks at me waiting for a respond.

I nodded to indicate to him that I understood what was said but I was actually laughing my brains out because the accent was too heavy that in actual fact, I only understood the first half of it when he lifted up the keys. I had to ask him again about what would happen after 2 seconds and had he not used the word "hear" I would not have thought about the buzzing sound he was relating to me but rather "boozing" as in beers. "... and then a booze will come up!". When I heard that I was like all happy. But I know that couldn't be true.

The entire ordeal was totally humorous limited to their accent only. I must admit that British accent is waaaaaaaayy easier to pick up than Canadian/American accent, in which I find them rather 'flat' as in monotonous with a little twist. British accent has all the twists and bends as to where to stress a syllabus or two in a word or phrase. So after all, it is in this sense that I am lost in the metropolitan.

However, I am also very lost in another way the most people are familiar with. It's like being put in a jungle with or without trails on the ground and not knowing if you've been going around in circles. Perhaps I have been so used to the block systems used in the North America. You will not get lost because you just can't if you know how to count. Streets runs are numbered in order and runs from east to west; whereas avenues runs from north to south. If you don't know where you're going, you can simply get on either a street or an avenue and start counting up or down to your destination. Over here, like I said it's like you being put in a jungle. Road systems here are haphazard and are evidently confusing. A similar street's name can become another name at certain point (usually at intersections). To make matters worse, it's very hilly here in Leeds. I was lost yesterday and I had to go back up the hills and down the slope just to get back to the point I was familiar with. Again, I'm [VERY] Lost in the Metropolitan!

So, what about the people?!

The British people aren't as open as the Canadians and that is the result of my observations. I can't chat up a stranger about anything without feeling ignored or disregarded of. Maybe "conservative" is the right word for them. The Canadians are conservative too but at the same time very open that you won't feel intimidate talking to a stranger... if you know what I mean. And they are not very initiative too in the sense of helping out.

I needed help for something and I was referred to another table where the volunteers would be able to help me out according to the person I spoke to. I walked over to that table effortlessly and stood there. There were a lot of people behind the table a couple of them were standing and looking around; more like dreaming... had nothing to do. Nobody helped me out nor even made the initiative to ask a person looking lost if he/she needed any assistance. There I was standing for over 10 minutes looking at everyone. I headed back to the person who referred me and he said just go over there and speak to the lady, he pointed out which lady he was talking about. I went back there and 'this' lady as well as everyone else had been ignoring everyone. I interrupted her conversation with her colleagues and related to her my problems. She helped me out.

So, what's the big deal? The person who referred me did not even bother to walk over with me and get somebody to talk to me. Nobody had the initiative to ask if one needed anything/help. Where is the courtesy? This is perhaps another cultural shock. I have been so used to the way of life in Canada. Whatever it is, everyday is a learning process and hopefully it won't be too difficult.

Speaking of which, believe me or not, I too had a culture shock back in Malaysia when I was there for 6 weeks. I am guilty of ignorance and people would accuse me of this crime. I have lost a couple of friends because of this. Now that I realized losing friends because they cannot understand where I have been for the last 3-4 years has changed my habits and beliefs, they are really not worth being friends after all. Memories of them just haunts me but I pray for comfort and peace and hopefully they will be expunged from my subconscious mind, thus their existence, as my days here in Leeds gets more interesting day by day.

Ah! Cotton candy clouds floating in the clear blue skies. What a sight I missed so much from Canada and none to be seen in Malaysia's hazy & rainy days. I can see 4 maple trees just outside my window and they're about 3 storeys high-- I live on the 3rd floor by the way. They are on my side of the riverbank. Yes, a river steams across horizontally to Turner's building, where I live. It's not too deep as I can see pebbles and stones and weeds through the crystal clear water. On the other side of the river bank is a running or bicycle track that trails along with the river's bends and arches. Surrounding it are all sorts of other trees whose name only botanists know. I am certainly not one.

Speaking of maple leaves, I should have seen many of these trees while in Canada but I have not and that's because I was not in the right place. Maple leaf is depicted on the Canadian flag. They are mostly found in the east coast regions -- Quebec, Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Foundland, New Brunswick. Here I am trying to forget my wonderful days in Canada yet I will constantly be reminded of by the 4 trees that are just outside my window. It is fated...

O Canada, our home and native land
true patriot love in all thy sons command.

with glowing hearts we see thee rise,
the True North strong and free.

from far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

---
Hmm... maybe I am thinking: "O Canada, I will return to thee. (repeat x3 to fade)"
By the way, that's the national anthem for Canada. It's a very nice song.

bye for now. will write more soon.

No comments: