Tuesday, September 14, 2004

University of Leeds

I'm glad to have finally arrived here safely. The flight was smooth and peaceful until touch down when the aircraft dropped on the runway with a frightening bang that sent all passengers on board to a temporary panic. It was going too fast and I thought the captain was drinking and flying since drinking and driving are more prone to be apprehended by the authorities. Who's gonna stop the pilot for breathelyzer test anyway?! Everything went accordingly and the immigration officers at the Manchester International airport didn't complicate my entry to the country.

It was raining lightly.

2 hours later all 14 students from MH12 arrived Leeds.

"Welcome to Leeds Metropolitan University", Chris Clayton announced with a smile, representative of International Students Office.

I've checked into my room. It looks a lot like Seager Wheeler Hall when I was living there in Saskatoon for the academic year 2002-2003, but the only difference is that I was my own washroom. I was looking for the switch to switch on the lights of the washroom and that took me like 10 minutes. It is impossible to have lamps on the ceilings and exaust fans but didn't have the switches. They were supposed to be on the walls. After spending half a day looking for it (at least it feels like half a day looking for the switch that is supposedly to be on walls) I gave up. Just as I exit the shower room, I noticed 2 long strings hanging from the ceiling. It's like those of window blinders when you pull you'd pull up the blinders. I pulled it and the lights came on! With the aid of the lights, I noticed the strings are of similar color as the walls. How helpful can that be!? But it's neat.

Now I recall cartoon characters pulling a string dangling from a bulb above their heads when ideas came up. So, that's where they got this idea.

Kirkstall Brewery is where I live now. It was a brewery that produces beers to be exported to Australia in the early 18th century. It's a long walk (about 40 minutes) to Headingley campus where most of my classes will be.

That's all for now. i wish I have a digital camera to show you what I see as I am not very talented to paint pictures with words.

Right now it's about 11 degree celcius--cooling and comfy!


a piece of towel cost £7! a can of coke costs £0.49

No comments: