Tuesday, October 19, 2004

The big Issue

The security guard whom I spoke to last night told me stuffs about life in the city. There are people begging on the streets, the homeless, and addicts, and the likes. He advised not to tip any beggars as 9 out of 10 are addicts, and in doing so we're financing their drug habits and that's no good. There are another group of people who are homeless but 'working' to sell a magazine called "The Big Issue" (TBI) for £1. Generally, 7-8 out of 10 people on the streets would ignore these TBI people. But for very £1 given in exchange for the magazine, 20p goes to them and the remaining goes to the charity for homeless people.

Today, in fact, tonight, as I walked home from Arcadia bar after meeting the Walking Club (signed up for Snowdonia trip on the first weekend of November for £30) a young boy limping towards me and asked if I could spare him some spare changes. He's not doing TBI and I thought I'd be risking as he might be an addict or a gypsy. He asked for food.

By the way, he looks like he's in young teens and has bruises on the right side of his forehead. His nose looked swallon. All he was wearing is a cotton sweater with hood over a t-shirt.

I walked away saying that I was looking for somebody and that i'll be right back. I needed some time to think about it. It's really a pity to see this boy. Having decided to buy him a meal (there is a KFC nearby) for around £3.69, I went up to him and told him that I'd buy him food instead. He just sat there and in a pitiful voice told me that he rather have £3 so he can go to the [homeless] hostel [by bus]. Tears trickled down his cheeks as he begins to worry there's no place to sleep for the night and it was cold. I can see him shiver. Then he said,

"What's the point? If you treat me a meal, I'll be back here on this spot 5 mins later. I've got to get to the hostel"

I gave him £1. There was another person there who gave the boy his loose change. It's still insufficient for the poor boy. He thanked us, and turned his back to us and limped away.

The next time I'm in downtown, I think I'll purchase TBI for £1 for charity purposes. It's really heart-breaking to see them being ignored by vast majority of people.

Thank God this place doesn't get as cold as Saskatoon (57 degrees celsius below zero!! on January 30, 2004)

No comments: