Sunday, October 03, 2004

我的名是张伟利。但你可以叫我丹呢(Danny)

An entertaining song you should all know.

Had a video conference with Claudia (CKY) and Sally (ZYW) just last night showing off to them their photos before they receive them. While doing that, there was a party going on in our kitchen, which is just beside my bedroom. I had to join the crowd just to NOT miss the fun.

I entertained some of them with Chinese caligraphies. Yeah, the brushes and the stone-dish where I grind the solidified ink on it to get its black ink out... they had no idea what I was doing and that felt like I was the guru of some thing. hehe!

The Spanish guys wanted to know how would I write the equivalent meaning of "Fuck you" in Chinese... with the brush. Isn't it "操你妈"? I did not write it but instead I wrote my name and just as I expected, all of them were astonished by the beauty of the Chinese characters.

Our Norwegian guy asked me why do asian people frequently ask us (them) for the meaning of their names and if that was a common thing in China. Like, Bjorn (with an accented 'o') means Beer, as in the beverage you'd drink a few litres and do funny things without realizing your durnk. I had to explain how my name means "Great Riches" or that my so-called translated English family name is "Longbow"... like,
"Hi! I'm Mr. Longbow of the Great Riches! How are you?"
These were just a bunch of BS and still, they're equally impressed. Well, the meaning of names goes way back to thousands of years ago till today. But I said it's common for fellow Chinese to ask for the meaning of names among each other because they want to know how to write your name and thus pronounce it the correct way. The Chinese language has four distinct pronounciations and with each correct pronounciation the listener can therefore identify the possibility of the character of the other person's name. Like my name -- 张伟利 -- I often have to say 伟大的伟 and 利润的利 or 利益的利 so my Chinese fellow will know exactly which character is my names. It rules out 为,位,韦,and 喂.

No comments: