Friday, October 01, 2004

A taste of in-class culture shock

"In-class culture shock"??
Is there such a thing in the first place?

Frankly speaking I am not even sure of it in the first place but after what I've been through I am rather inclined to believe the existence of such phenomena.

Remember how I said there was never a day I'd fall asleep during lectures back in Canada? Good. If you have forgotten, I have mentioned that by the way. Over there is more like professionalism pride whereby students have the right to do whatever they want as long as they are not causing and/or introducing difficulities to other students -- that includes standing up and leaving the classroom impromptu for whatever reasons you may have.

Professors over there did not really mind you doing that... as long as you pass his/her class or as long as you don't cause troubles to either him/her or to the rest of the class. It is understood that way as far as I can recall my days over there. If you fall back in lectures and in your progress (in that subject) then there's no one to blame but yourself. That's what I mean by professionalism pride.

You may have a class of 20-30 people and it is in my opinion that when one or two students stands up and leave the classroom is inevitably insignificant. And this is something I have been doing and nobody ever comes to me and ask me why I did so as though I have breached a rule or two.

So, that was exactly what I did. I couldn't go on for another minute without falling asleep in my "Law of the Consititution" class. Believe me, the lecturer (they call instructors over here as lecturers, not professors and I have no idea. maybe they lack of professionalisms?) was deadly boring in his voice, method of teaching, communication with students, and in his behavior(s).

I was sitting right in front of the class and directly to where he was sitting. It wouldn't take much effort for him to notice somebody is sleeping in his class if I did fall asleep. It would be equally rude to be doing just that -- falling asleep as the result of the boredom he catalysed -- and to walk away and leave. Which alternative was better I kept questioning myself before I made the move.

I made the move to stand up and walk away. Nothing was said. There was no need for consent. I'm not going to "Uhh, can I leave now? It's getting too boring for me and I'm tired."

An hour passed and I met up with my classmates. 3 of them, one at the time, asked me the following:
"Why did you leave the class so suddenly? You mean, you already knew what the stuffs he was going to say in class?", the curious English blonde girl trying to strike a conversation with me.

"Were you feeling alright? Why did you leave the lecture?"

"Why? You left early..."

They were all asking why. The obvious is I have done something wrong. There are no exceptions. The best part was when I had to go back to see him, the lecturer, for a couple of handouts; filled with guilt after having people asking me why I did such a thing. I had to answer him the same way I have to the other 3 people, except with a little dishonesty to avoid my name from being black-listed. I had to say I was tired.

If I was trying to make a statement in that class it would have been "You're too boring!" Take it and swallow in however bitter it may be because it's gonna be good for you. However bitter a medicine can be they ought to heal you.

So, it looks like it's not a norm to do that here otherwise nobody would question me about it. Would I do it again? It only depends on how boring it gets the next time. I would try my very best NOT to fall asleep but I can't fight it if my body has to give its way. The only way I can fight it is by walking... stand up and leave.

No comments: