Sunday, October 03, 2004

A letter to the Vice Chancellor of Leeds Metropolitan University (LMU)

In the past couple of hours I have been thinking about something to write to our Vice Chancellor (VC). It's not a complain letter neither it is a fairy tale. I believe my idea/suggestion I am offering represents a universal voice and that the VC has to take time to read.

Greetings Professor Lee,

I’m Danny Teok. We met and spoke on Thursday (Sept 30th) at Queenswood, Headingley Campus, during tea time. I had to write to you concerning an area of potential interests that the university can offer to its [international] students at the Beckett Park’s campus (hereinafter referred to as “The University”).

I have also spoken to a gentleman who, I believe, is the manager of the food services of The University and it is with much regret that I cannot recall his name. He was most generous and welcomed a few suggestions I had to offer to which he asserted that I must bring the matter to you.

Being an international student myself, I strongly believe that there is a need for The University to provide to students microwave ovens. In the presence of variety of food catering services readily available to all at a small cost, there are still, however, a number of large minority of students who would prefer to bring their own food in which they are accustomed to in the past many years to consume while waiting for their next lecture session. In such event, the said microwave oven would serve useful as to reheating of the food – a warm/hot meal to enjoy. It is unfortunate to realize that The University has not facilitated such convenient amenities among a number of ubiquitous vending machines throughout the campus.

While I do not have the statistical data to substantiate the above-mentioned sentence “…there are still, however, a number of large minority…”, it was in my opinion that I foresee there is such a universal need. Having provided such facility would have saved a great deal of money and time from traveling back to their respective residence just to have a hot meal. Students live on budget, therefore, saving as much as they can is undeniably one of their priorities.

I have strong confidence to believe that The University’s management is very generous and compassionate to respond to the numerous needs of students, particularly this one.

It has been great honor and pleasure to have personally met and spoken with you, the Vice Chancellor of Leeds Metropolitan University, and that students have the greatest opportunity to communicate and relate their problems with you. Perhaps I have known too many Vice Chancellors that are too occupied with the governance of their university to even take time to listen to the needs of their students. Again, it has been a great honor.

Thank you for listening and giving me this opportunity in which I treasure much.

Please forgive me if I have said anything by mistake or inaccurately as I am still learning in my new environment.


Regards,
Danny V-Li Teok
(LL.B [Hons] Law; 1st yr)


So, there you go. If you would proof-read the above I would be much grateful! I decided not to send the letter off yet until it's been proof-read to perfection or at least until it looks time-worth & professional.

One of the reason I wrote out my idea was also because of what I have been used to back in Saskatoon days. Yeah, I can take my food to school just like everybody else is doing and have a hot meal. I just cannot do it right here right now as there are no facility. Yes, there are but they're not for students. The microwave ovens are in staff's pantries to which students have no access. Where is justice? Staffs are allowed to enjoy hot meals while students are not? How about having a common area like a student's lounge filled with pop and vending machines with microwave oven and tables and chairs? Yeah, University of Saskatchewan is like that and if LMU is not doing the same thing then I have the right to believe that LMU doesn't care much about student's needs.

But wouldn't it be rude to address the issue in that manner as described in the last line of the previous paragraph? haha! Imagine our VC reading that.

I don't think UoS' VC has ever met any students. The only person in the board that have met and spoke to students is the President -- Peter McKinnon. Is he the VC? I still think he is not as welcoming as the VC of LMU. Prof. Simon Lee, VC of LMU, do stress to students (us) to write to him if we have any concerns. Not that his secretary will read and respond on his behalf but he honestly said he loves to know what are our needs and problems and that he will try his best to resolve situations for us. At the least, he has admitted one of his passion and extended a friendship-relationship with students. On the other hand, neither the President or the VC or the Chancellor of UoS has ever done that. But still, that's the impression I got if I am not already being bias.

No comments: